Mom's Red & White Tortellini
Serves 4 People
- 1 – Tbsp. Butter
- 2 – Garlic Cloves (minced)
- ¼ - Cup Onion (chopped)
- 14 oz. – Can Tomato Sauce
- 12 oz. – Tortellini (fresh or frozen)
Mushroom Parmesan Sauce
- 2 – Tbsp. Butter
- 2 – Cups Mushrooms (fresh)
- ¼ - Cup Chopped Green Onion
- 2 – Tbsp. Flour
- 2 – Cups Milk
- 2/3 – Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1 ½ - Cups Mozzarella Cheese (grated)
- Additional parmesan cheese (as needed)
To make Tomato Sauce:
Melt butter & sauté garlic and onion until tender. Add tomato sauce and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Cook tortellini according to package directions.
To make Mushroom Parmesan Sauce:
Melt butter and sauté mushrooms and green onion until tender. Sprinkle with flour and gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens to consistency of mushroom soup. Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Add mushroom parmesan sauce to cooked, drained tortellini.
Spread tomato sauce over bottom of a large, shallow casserole. Spoon Tortellini-Mushroom mixture on top; leaving a red border of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and additional parmesan cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is melted and golden. Serve Immediately!